President, W.P.J. McCarthy and Company Ltd.
William Peter Joseph McCarthy began his real estate career on the day he graduated from high school in 1978. Prior to this, he worked alongside his grandfather and mentor, John Jambor. By academic training he is a Political Scientist, and real estate professional. He is a hands-on real estate practitioner, who believes in ongoing and continuous professional development and education. He is one of the most accredited real estate practitioners in the world.
While primarily focused on his own extensive real estate portfolio, which he has developed, leased, managed, and retains ownership; he and his firm also provide high level and independent real estate agency and consulting services and advice for selected third parties.
In addition to his professional activities, William McCarthy also writes, teaches, and provides pro bono real estate and business advice to various community, educational, religious, and professional organizations. He is one of his country’s most significant philanthropists, doing so on a quiet and targeted basis.
Academic and Real Estate Designations
The following are William McCarthy’s current academic and professional real estate designations. He is always working on his next course of studies and designation.
- Associate of Arts (A.A.), Douglas College
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Simon Fraser University
- Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.), Simon Fraser University
- Bachelor of Theology (B.Th.) Newman College
- Master of Arts (M.A.), University of British Columbia
- Master of Arts Integrated Studies (MAIS), Athabasca University
- Certified Property Manager (CPM), Real Estate Institute of Canada
- Fellow of the Real Estate Institute of Canada (FRI), Real Estate Institute of Canada
- Certified Leasing Officer (CLO), Real Estate Institute of Canada
- Real Property Administrator (RPA), Building Owners and Managers Institute
- Fellow Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS)
- Member, Real Estate Institute of British Columbia (RI)
- Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD.D), Institute of Corporate Directors
- Qualified Arbitrator (Q.Arb.), ADR Institute of Canada
- Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), CCIM Institute
- Counselors of Real Estate (CRE), Counselors of Real Estate
W.P.J. McCarthy and Company Ltd. Corporate Information
William McCarthy is the President and owner of W.P.J. McCarthy and Company Ltd. (est. 1988), a real estate developing, managing and consulting company. In addition, Mr. McCarthy owns through his other firms an extensive residential, commercial and industrial real estate portfolio. Mr. McCarthy develops, leases, manages and owns several properties. He provides these services to selective clients as well.
W.P.J. McCarthy and Company Ltd. is an Accredited Management Organization (AMO). This designation is earned and conveyed by the Institute of Real Estate Management and is the highest standard in achievement available to those firms engaged in professional property management. To qualify for this designation the firm must be led by a Certified Property Manager (CPM), own or manage a specific size portfolio, meet stringent insurance and bonding requirements, and be of the highest professional and ethical standards. There are only 525 such accredited firms worldwide. W.P.J. McCarthy and Company Ltd. is one of only two such firms in Canada, and is the country’s only privately owned AMO firm.
William McCarthy is also one of 1,100 Counselors of Real Estate (CRE) worldwide. His consulting services are reflective of the credential and standards of this organization.
Mr. McCarthy is a strong believer in good corporate governance and leadership. Mr. McCarthy has served as a member, Director, Officer and Chair on numerous professional and community organizations. To better serve and advise both on a professional and public basis, he completed the Institute of Corporate Directors certification program, obtaining his ICD.D designation.
Please review our corporate website (www.wpjmccarthy.com) for further information on our firm and William McCarthy, including links to professional organizations that we belong to, including their criteria for membership and accreditation.