The CRE® designation is awarded to those individuals who are invited by their peers into the membership of The Counselors of Real Estate, and who accept the invitation by fulfilling the entry requirements of the organization. If you feel you qualify to be a Counselor and have at least 10 years of industry experience, you may also self apply.
Counselors of Real Estate have varied professional backgrounds. The terms below describe key qualities exhibited by every Counselor:
- Known in the real estate industry as someone of high integrity and honesty
- Approaches problems and decisions independently, factoring in divergent facts and opinions
- Has ten years of practical experience in a real estate related profession (which could include 2 years for a master’s degree)
- Three or more years have involved the provision of real estate advisory services
- Counseling work has had significant influence on important decisions
- Employs sophisticated analytic methods and practices
- Recognized and respected by peers for expertise
- Exhibits a high level of skill, competency and proficiency
- Influences real estate decisions critical to the success of your client, company, or organization
- Employer/clients value your work and rely on your advice to guide their actions
- Demonstrates broad situational awareness of client’s overall business and can render services in that context
- Recognized intellectual or business leader in the profession
- Known for innovative business management and/or problem resolution
- Engaged in local and/or national efforts to advance the profession
- The Applicant must show evidence that he or she provides advice or guidance that significantly affects real estate decisions, without personal bias or conflict of interest.
- The Applicant must have a minimum of ten years of practical experience in real estate, three of which must be in real estate counseling.
- The Applicant must be accomplished and highly regarded for integrity, ethics, judgment, leadership, knowledge, and superior expertise in his or her organization and/or field(s) of specialty.
- The Applicant must demonstrate Ethics, Experience, Expertise, Influence and Prominence as further discussed above.
- If invited to membership in The Counselors of Real Estate, the Applicant must agree to hold some form of membership in the National Association of Realtors® (NAR). NAR offers Institute Affiliate membership at a nominal fee to fulfill this requirement; local Board membership is not required.